Rules & Conditions
Please read these Rules and Conditions carefully before submitting your video for the 2020 MyView Youth Film Festival:
- To be eligible to submit a video, youth must be between the ages of 10 and 24 years old as of
May 1, 2020May 8, 2020.
- To be eligible to submit a video, youth must live, work or attend school in Eastern Ontario (Eastern Ontario is defined as the following counties: Lanark, Leeds & Grenville; Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry; Prescott & Russell; Ottawa-Carleton)
- Deadline for submissions is
May 1, 2020May 8, 2020.
- The use of original or royalty-free music is required for festival submissions. Please ensure that you have all necessary releases on file, including actors’ releases.
- MyView judges will only select films for the contest and festival which are 5 minutes or less.
- Only submissions which meet the rules and conditions will be eligible for inclusion in the festival (Note the Tobacco Free Policy of the MyView Youth Film Festival found below).
- If submitting more than one film, please submit a separate submission for for each film.
- If you choose to submit films in hard copy, the tapes and/or DVDs will be available for pickup up to 3 weeks following the festival, after which they will be destroyed. The applicant; however, permits MyView to retain copies as part of its Festival Library.
- Submissions will be reviewed by a panel of judges prior to screening and will be selected for screening based on the following aspects presented in the submission: a) Film Message b) Entertainment Value, and c) Production Value. It is highly recommended to review the judging criteria prior to making your film.
- Although not all submissions will be accepted for exhibition, those which are selected may be screened once or multiple times at various MyView venues (whether online, in-theater or in other forms) prior to, during and after the festival.
- The applicant hereby grants MyView the rights to use all or parts of the film for promotional purposes; to use stills, biographical material, names and likeness from the copies of the film for journalists to review, to show the films at press screenings and to exhibit the film during the festival and at any time before and after the festival.
- MyView will use its best efforts to ensure the correct title and credits are listed in the festival program, but shall not be held liable for inadvertent errors or omissions.
- The MyView Nominations Committee shall determine selections nominated in each category, and award winners will be decided based on a blended mix of Judges scores and online votes.
- MyView reserves the right to decide all questions not specifically provided for herein.
- MyView reserves the rights to adjust the dates and times of film screenings without notice. MyView shall not be responsible for delays or cancellations due to equipment failure, shipping delays, or the condition of the films delivered.
MyView Youth Film Festival Tobacco Free Policy
The Tobacco Industry has a long and sordid history with Hollywood and films. While outright paid product placement is now banned, exposure to tobacco use in films is still widespread and far exceeds actual use rates in the population. This leads us to wonder if covert payments for promotion of tobacco use are still widespread. The World Health Organization has concluded that the more onscreen smoking youth are exposed to, the more likely it is that they will smoke.
The MyView Youth Film Festival is taking a stand on this issue by creating a Tobacco-Free Policy for all film submissions. No tobacco use, imagery, or promotion is permitted in any of the films submitted for the contest. The only exception to this policy is when the tobacco use is directly related to the message of the film and it is accurately portrayed including the dangers and consequences of its use.
For more information on tobacco use in movies, visit www.smokefreemovies.ca
Below are the criteria which will be used in selecting the nominees and determining Judges’ scores for the MyView Youth Film Festival. Please pay close attention to the number of points which are assigned to each category.
MESSAGE – 20 Points Possible
- Background or Context Presented
- Provision of Solution or Call-to-action (if applicable)
- Accuracy of Information Presented
- Realistic (if applicable)
- Broad Relevance (Affects Community not just specific group)
ENTERTAINMENT VALUE – 10 Points Possible
- Holds Attention
- Lasting Impression (conveys action as take away)
- Emotional Pull
- Broad Appeal
PRODUCTION VALUE – 5 Points Possible
- Clarity of Image
- Clarity of Sound
- Creative Approach
- Flow/Pacing of Film
MYVIEW FILM CONTEST AWARDS
Prizes will be awarded in the following categories:
- Grand Prize
- Age Category Prizes (10-13, 14-17, 18-24)
The Nominations Committee determines which films are nominated in each category.
Final Winners in each category are decided using a blend of Judges’ scores and online votes.